What if there are multiple defendants in my wrongful death suit?

In actions for wrongful death, causation is not always so simple that a single person or legal entity can be identified as the sole defendant responsible for the decedent's death. For example, if a person dies in a car accident, it may be partly because of the fault of another driver and partly due to a mechanical defect on one of the vehicles that may be the responsibility of the auto manufacturer. A lawsuit would name both of these as defendants. Assuming that the plaintiff prevails, how are the damages to be divided among them?

Until 2005, Georgia followed a doctrine known as joint and several liability, under which all defendants were liable for all of the damages even if none of them was 100% at fault. In the example above, if the other deceased was not negligent, the other driver was 70 percent at fault and the auto maker was 30 percent at fault, the old doctrine would have let the plaintiff collect 100 percent of the damages award from either the other driver, or the auto maker, or some combination of both of them. Changes to the law, however, have made joint and several liability obsolete in Georgia.

Now, in the above example with the negligent driver and auto maker, let's assume the following:

First, the jury decides if the deceased person who is the subject of the wrongful death action was 20 percent at fault. This will reduce the damages award by an equal amount.

Second, assume that the jury finds the other driver 30 percent at fault, and the auto maker 50 percent (together comprising the 80 percent of damages after the deduction of the 20 percent of the decedent's fault). Under the law as it exists today, each of the two defendants would be liable for only its percent of responsibility. It is no longer possible to collect the entire 80 percent from just one of them.

Staying abreast of the most recent legal developments, including legislative changes and decisions of both state and federal courts, is part of the responsibility of every personal injury law firm in Georgia. Only in this way can you be assured that your lawsuit will not run afoul of technical problems based on inaccurate understanding of how the law applies to your specific case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super Lawyers
  • The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • Expertise Personal Injury Lawyers In Macon 2016
  • Lawyers of Distinction
  • Nation's Premier Top Ten Attorney - Personal Injury
  • Best Lawyers | Best Law Firms | U.S. News
  • American Jurist Institute | Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney For Georgia
  • Million Dollar Advocated Forum
  • Multi Million Dollar Advocated Forum
  • GTLA-Member-2020
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Macon Office
327 Third Street
Macon, GA 31201

Phone: 478-742-8441
Fax: 478-745-9097
Macon Law Office Map

Savannah Office
401 Mall Blvd. Ste. 103-E
Savannah, GA 31406

Phone: 912-239-4395
Fax: 912-239-4401
Map & Directions

Albany Office
235 Roosevelt Ave.
Suite 100
Albany, Georgia 31701

Phone: 229-299-9590
Fax: 229-299-9610
Map & Directions

Tifton Office
823-A Love Ave.
Tifton, Georgia 31794

Phone: 229-256-4522
Fax: 229-256-4523
Map & Directions

Macon Office

Savannah Office

Albany Office

Tifton Office

After Hours Call/Text

Macon - 478-733-0070
Savannah - 912-755-9500